Monday, February 24, 2014

Marie Antoinette…..mixed media on canvas...

Afternoon all
Its funny how sometimes I can start a painting, and the end product is NOTHING like I intended it to be.  This painting inspired by Suzi Blue, was one of those such times.  This painting has many many layers, from newspaper, to texture paste and fully layered in tissue paper….my intentions were not clear when I started out on this canvas thats for sure.  I was after something romantic, pretty and texturised.  I think, to date, this one is one of my favourites.  At one stage, I gessoed the whole thing, splattered paint on it, than after letting dry, hated it, and almost, almost just chucked the whole thing in the bin!  But, here is when sometimes just putting it aside, leaving it alone, letting it rest, can sometimes be a very good thing!  I have a little obsession with 'face' paintings at the moment, and I was flicking through Suzi Blues book when it struck me… so here is the final piece!  It measures 60 x 90cm and is quite heavy with all the layers!  I have used acrylic paints, glitter, paper, fabric, beads, texture paste, newspaper, pastels, tissue paper and fabric rosettes.


Above you can see the texture and also the glimmer of the metallic gold paint and glitter.






23 comments:

  1. i commented but im not sure it went through so sorry if this is a repeat.. I love this, i love the colors and style and can relate I often have no idea what im painting until im done and often those are my favorite pieces too... thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melissa. I love painting with 3d type work, and I find them the most interesting of my pieces. Colour is another thing that I love working with. Mixed media is just the BEST!!

      Delete
  2. I wish I could do that...she is lovely *sigh*
    I feel so inadequate :-(
    Do you show your process on You Tube?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't feel inadequate! Its all a process, and one that has taken me a long time, but you just have to keep on with what you are doing. Its also about the process, how you feel when you are painting/creating! Start small and practice, practice.....an art journal is a great thing for that! I have only ever done a couple of Youtube videos showing the process of my work, and even then, they are a bit dodgy!! They are really old videos too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvDkKGVOI2A

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love !!!! This is so beautiful and you used my favourite colours !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Belle! My fave colours also!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely beautiful! I love Suzi Blu's work! I can completely relate to things not ending up like I had planned. Your end result is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Anna! I find the best results from me are those paintings that Ive started, hated, put aside, and started again!! I think recreating something out of something else is what Im beginning to understand I love doing the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw this on Pinterest-I LOVE IT! Whimsey girls are one of my favorites. Love that her face is so pristine. Her textured white hair is perfect for her complexion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen!! I loved, loved make this one! Ive since done more very similar but on different size canvas' but for some reason, they have never looked the same as this one! She is one of my all time favourites and it will be sad to see her go when she finally does sell!

      Delete
  9. She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Can you tell me what product you used to do her hair and how you did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amber
      Thank you for your kind comments!! I have used impasto, and I have applied it with a palette knife. Its an awesome medium to use and can give great texture!! You can buy it in many different brands. Also can be known as texture paste. Good luck :)

      Delete
  10. What is the name of this artwork?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutley enchanting..stunning ❤

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh I love this!!! It makes me so inspired that some day I can create something as beautiful as this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind comments! Just keep on creating! :)

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a message....